Just thought I would share, what life has been like here the last 24 hours. Here is the statement put out by the National Weather Service. Pictures will soon follow.
... Over 3 feet of record snowfall in Valdez...
The Valdez Weather Service office measured 38.7 inches of total
snowfall today which blows away the previous daily snowfall record
for December 15th of 10.1 inches set back in 1991.
This makes it the highest 24 hour snowfall in the month of
December... the previous record was 31.7 inches set on December 30th
2002.
The 38.7 inches that fell today also became the 2nd highest all time
24 hour snowfall record... only 8.8 inches shy of the 47.5 inches that
fell on January 16th 1990.
... Richardson Highway is closed...
The Department of Transportation has closed the Richardson Highway
from milepost 12 to milepost 42 until approximately 12 noon today.
Almost 5 feet of snow has fallen across the northeast Prince William
Sound since Monday morning. The heavy snow will lessen in intensity
later Wednesday morning and conditions will likely improve.
All travel and outdoor activity is strongly discouraged this morning.
Just for your information the Richardson Highway is the only way in and out of Valdez. I guess you could say we are snowed in!
5 comments:
All I can say about that snow is WOW. Well, that's not all. I'm glad it's up there and not here. And last but not least, I hope you guys stay warm and safe.
Holy Cow! Ya, I would say you are snowed in. Is everyone home from school? We would love to see pictures of all that snow.
They don't cancel school in Valdez. We can make it through anything....wait as of this very moment there is no more school until January yikes!
Heather,
It's so fun to see your family growing up and to see photos of fun things you've done with your fam. What are you doing in Valdez? Do you love how beautiful it is. If you want to email me at coltheodore@gmail.com it would be lovely!
christine
Our kids are totally jealous! All they can think about is how GREAT the sledding must be!
Post a Comment