Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chichén-Itzá

Chichen Itza was built by the Mayans around 800 AD. It was discovered by the Europeans in approximately 1566. Seeing these ruins was amazing. I still am in awe. At times I wonder if it is really just a painted back drop. The neatest thing was when you clap your hands anywhere in front of the stairs of the pyramid you hear a return sound of a local bird. A multitone song originates from the spaces between the stone steps. On the equinox's (which was the day after we went..they expect 10,000 visitors) a visual treat of a snake appears to go up or down the edge if the pyramid. There are 91 steps on each side (4 sides) adding up to 364, and add the top tier for a total of 365 steps. They were very aware of leap year.
They had a 19 month calander. Eighteen months with 20 days and one with 5 days. I could have spent hours exploring and listening to the guides. We were lucky enough to have a stake president, who served as one of our guides. They are not allowed to speak about religion, but it is hard not to see our religion in it.


This is a ball court with excellent acoustics. The hoop is sideways and made of stone. It is bigger then a football field and a person standing at one end can be heard by all. General Conference, anyone?




Baptismal Font????








This whole place was paved in stones. In the 1700's someone took them all to build a house!!! The picture with Gretchen was an observatory to look at the stars. This wasn't my kids best day. Someday they will appreciate it.

1 comment:

big8smiley said...

When we went we had the luxury of NOT having kids along with us. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well because I had heat exhaustion. The place is really amazing - I'd love to take my kids there even though I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it as much either. When we went we were in an all-LDS group, so we asked for a LDS tour guide. I enjoyed his perspectives as well. Very interesting.