Thursday, September 10, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

On Saturday the John's returned home from a hunting trip. They noticed the pass was full of blueberry pickers, so later in the afternoon we headed up the pass for some picking. We came out with 5 pounds of berries and a lot of blueberry stains. These blueberries are a little different then I am used to. They are literally on the ground. They are arctic blueberries and live in a very harsh climate. We had a lot of fun sitting and laying and searching for the perfect patch. We found one of these patches after it was determined we should leave. My husband had to drag us off the mountain. That us would be mostly me and Millie. We came home and had blueberry pancakes for dinner. On Monday, we made blueberry jam, homemade bread and blueberry milkshakes. Yummy! We even had some extra to freeze for maybe some blueberry muffins.

Early in the morning on Monday was the Labor Day walk run. JP is part of the cross country team and it was strongly encouraged that he should run. So all the kids ran. Gretchen ran a 1k and came in second place. John, Millie, Max and I all ran (I walked some too...I am not a runner) the 3k. Although I do walk a lot, walking is not the same as running. I really enjoyed myself and felt great at the end. I have to say I have been pretty sore this week, although I would consider doing it again. John came in first place in the 3k and Millie and Max were not far behind them. We were so proud of them.

I didn't bring a camera for either activity, but a friend caught a few of my kids on film.


2 comments:

big8smiley said...

Oh! I'm so jealous that you have so many wild berries just for the picking! Sounds good.

That's great you all ran in the races. :) I love how you had your whole family involved. You just might have to make it a family tradition.

Snelders said...

We also found berries on mount Rainier, only they were huckleberries. Only picked enough for icecream though.